Sunday, October 24, 2010

Things You Should Never Admit Volume 1: I don't like the National Anthem

What!!??!  He doesn't LIKE the national anthem? 

Yes, you read it right.  I don't care much for "The Star Spangled Banner."  But before you send deem me to be unpatriotic and probably a terrorist hear me out. 

I vividly recall my dad telling me before a baseball game when I was a kid to take off my hat, face the flag and remember the men and women who died for our country.  I did as I was told and thought about Vietnam because as I understood it at the time, nothing made this country safer than sending men and women to die in a war we probably couldn’t win to defeat something called Communism.  And to this day I can’t find any fault to the logic of my dad.  I think it’s very important to remember where we came from and the sacrifices people made before us…and now. 

Even when I was a punk ass teenager and felt too cool for such formality, I dutifully removed my hat faced the flag and was respectful during the anthem.  But I all the times I have stood for the anthem, I have never been moved, touched, felt pride or really anything that I suppose I am supposed to feel.  And I didn’t know that you were supposed to unless you had just won an Olympic medal. 

Lets be honest here, it’s not that great of a song.  For one thing, it’s set to the tune of an old British drinking song called “ To Anacreon in Heaven  Take that England.  Oh how the red coats must have snickered. 

Then theres the lyrics which come from "Defence of Fort McHenry",  a poem written in 1814 by the 35-year-old lawyer and amateur poet, Francis Scott Key who had wittnessed a particular battle over the fort.  Come on people…”Defence of Fort Mchenry?”  Can you think of a worse title for a poem?  For myself, when I write peotry I try not to sound like a seventh grade history text.  Mr. Francis Scott Key tells us the story of this battle that no one today ever saw.  A battle that while probably important at the time and impactful to him has little to do with me at a baseball game staring intently at the flag while wondering what the starting line up will be.

In the play offs Major League Baseball teams have begun a tradition of singing “God Bless America,” during the 7th inning streatch the last couple of years.  Usually it features some recording artist or fire fighter or someone of local importance.  I watched the Yankees/Rangers game yesterday and the Phillies/Giants game tonight.  Both featured “God Bless America” during the 7th inning.  One was some singer/actor but in Sanfransisco it was this violinist with no words.  Both times my eyes welled up with hot stingy tears.  And this has been the case for some time now.  Read these lyrics to the full version:

"While the storm clouds gather far across the sea,
Let us swear allegiance to a land that's free,
Let us all be grateful for a land so fair,
As we raise our voices in a solemn prayer. "

":God Bless America,
Land that I love.
Stand beside her, and guide her
Thru the night with a light from above.
From the mountains, to the prairies,
To the oceans, white with foam
God bless America, My home sweet home."

I don’t know… it’s such a humble ditty.  I love that it speaks of gratitude and seeks Gods guidance for our nation.  These concepts, more than a dry poem set to an old drinking tune seem to be as important now as they were when this song was penned.  Finally, I feel the pride but I also feel something else: lucky to be here.  So I submit to you that if it ever came to a vote or…however they decide such things, that “God Bless America,” should be our national anthem. 

No comments:

Post a Comment